Tuesday 29 May 2012

We are finally going to NYC!

I don't think I have told you that Daddy and I originally planned to go to New York  in February, after we came back from the Philippines. However, we both didn't realize that I needed an ESTA (Electornic System for Visa Authorization). It was only implemented in 2009 I think and neither of us has been to the US since 2007, so we didn't know. We only found out that I needed one on the day that we were supposed to fly. This is despite the fact that I am now a British Citizen. Apparently, ESTA is a requirement for those in the countries under the Visa Waiver Program like the UK. Anyway, I applied for ESTA at that time, but I had to say  "Yes" to the question which asked if I have ever been denied a US Visa because I was denied 10 years ago when I attempted to visit your Lola Linda. So the result was pending until three hours before our flight. Thinking that I will not be granted an ESTA, Daddy and I decided to just rebook the flight and  I decided to just apply personally for a visa.

So this morning I had my interview at the US Embassy. Just like any other interviews, I was a bit nervous. Although I had an appointment for 9am, I still had to join the queue. First of all, I was asked by the a lady outside if I had any electronics in my bag. I confidently said no because I left my mobile phones at home. But when I was inside for the security check, I was asked to go back because the machine detected my earphones. I asked if I could just leave it there but they said no. They instructed me to go to number 37 which I didn't have any idea where. So instead of wasting another 10 minutes (or could be more) looking for number 37, I decided to get rid of it otherwise I would be late for my interview. I was gonna throw it in the bin but I thought I'd just give it to someone. So when I saw a Lola and a guy hanging out in the park, I asked them if they wanted my earphone. The guy just smiled at me while Lola said, "Yes please". So I gave my earphones to Lola. Even memory sticks are not allowed.

I waited for at least 15 minutes for my first interview. Yes, there were two. When my number was called, I went to window 5 but there was still this old Asian lady being interviewed, so I had to wait for another 10 minutes. When it was my turn to be interviewed, it only took 2 minutes. I was only asked why I was applying for a visa and that was it. Then I was off to the next interview where I was asked further questions. I was first asked to verify why I was applying for a tourist visa. Then the other questions were if I was married to a US citizen and if I at some point applied for another US visa. I did apply for an immigrant visa through your Daddy but we put it off last December because we were not both ready to leave the UK for good. Just so you know you were in the petition. Anyway, after that the guy told me that my visa was approved and that my passport is on it's way. All in all, both interviews only took 6 minutes.

So that means that Daddy and I will be able to visit New York again (fingers crossed) after a few years. Our planned trip is in August, a week after your birthday. We were thinking of going to France for your birthday but it's going to be so close to our New York trip, so I am not sure if that's going to happen. But even if we won't be able to go to France, I'm sure we'll be doing something special for your birthday.

We will definitely be bringing Meow with us to New York. And of course you will also be there in spirit.


I love and miss you so much baby ko.


Mommy Tintin


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...