Friday 17 August 2012

Forever 11

You would have been 12 today.

It was 12 years ago when God gave us the most wonderful gift we ever recieved. The first newborn in the family, the first proper baby. You and Mama were in the main ward of the hospital where I used to work. It was sometime in the afternoon when Daddy Don and I visited you. Yes Daddy Don happened to be on vacation at that time so he came with me. You were asleep at that time and Mama was resting. Meanwhile, Daddy Don, Papa and I decided on your name. At first Papa wanted you to be called Keith Lee, from his favourite musicians Keith of Metallica and Tommy Lee of Motley Crue. I was not sure why Papa wanted you to be named after those rock 'n roll superstars, but I'm sure it was only because of his love for the music. Daddy and I didn't quite like the sound of Keith Lee though, so we suggested Keith Ashley. Papa protested because Ashley is apparently a girl's name. But we eventually managed to convince him it was better than his choice. So we then told the midwife to put Keith Ashley on your birth certificate. 

We were also deciding at that time if we should register you as my son. Because remember, I have already asked permission from Mama and Papa that I would adopt you? But Papa was not keen and wanted to ensure that you will have another brother until he gave you to me, which was fair enough. And so we left it like that.

I left you when you were about eight months old and legally adopted you when you were four.

******

It was weird calling home on your birthday and not speaking with you. It was the first time in 12 years. When I called your friends were singing happy birthday to you, just like the old times. I spoke briefly to HerJae, Christelle, Anthony, Frederick, Iona and Xyryll. Yes anak, your friends and their mommies were all there to celebrate your angel birthday. Then they went to visit your house on earth. Unfortunately they couldn't stay long because they still have exams tomorrow. Your bestfriend Aga has been in the house since after lunch but I didn't get to speak to him.

I am not sure if Mama took pictures from today but I downloaded some of the photos from your last birthday on earth.


By the way, there was apparently a grasshopper in the house today. It appeared from nowhere when your friends arrived. Maybe it was a sign that you were with them on your birthday. And yes, it is a Keith Lighter Day after a week of rain. Ading Cxyrelle prayed hard last night for a good weather. And Ading Linus said, God didn't allow it to rain because he knew that your friends were going to the house for your birthday.

Anak, let me end my letter to you with this......


To the boy who almost had everything - good character, good looks, brains and talents.

Whose presence lit up every room, at the same time silenced it because of his exemplary reservedness.

The boy who possessed those mysterious eyes.
The 
eyes which people believed to have said a lot about his fate on earth. Those warm, compassionate, expressive yet sad and sorrowful eyes.

The boy whose gracefulness, politeness, quietness and meticulousness set a standard among other children.

Whose talents and good character continue to inspire other people - young and old.

The boy who inspired me to become a better person and who has given me the strength I thought I never had.

The boy who loved God and everything that belonged to Him.

The boy who was and still is loved by his friends and his family unconditionally.

The boy other children look up to.

The boy any parent would wish to have.

The boy whom we will forever love and never forget.

Happy first angel birthday anak. You are deeply missed.



Mommy Tintin


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...