Thursday 6 September 2012

Blood Transfusion

See I told you, wherever I go and whatever I do there is always something that reminds me of you. Although the memory is not always good, at least I know that somehow, I am beginning to fully accept what happened to you.

One of our topics today at my training was blood transfusion. I know that you needed transfusion when you were at the hospital because your platelet dropped and you bled. My conversation with Mama on that day she told me that you needed blood and platelets remains very clear in my mind. It was Friday morning Philippine time when she told me you needed to be transfused but there was no blood available in the hospital, not even in the big hospital across the road. Tatang had to go to Olongapo to buy some. That means, he had to travel at least 3 hours in order to get the blood. Meanwhile, Inang was busy looking for anyone who could donate blood so they can just directly transfuse you. However, everyone who volunteered either was malourished or not that healthy or tired. You were type O. You had the same blood type as Mama, but she has been looking after you so she was tired and therefore not fit enough to donate blood. However, Tito JL WAS a tyoe O too, so their hopes was very high. But when they did a crossmatch at the hospital, he turned out to be type AB or something like that, definitely not an O. He was very surprised because the last time he had it checked, he was an O. I don't know what went wrong. I am not sure if there was a mistake and even if I knew, I didn't know where.

Then the nurse apparently informed them that there was a blood available, but reserved for the patient next door to you. And because the patient didn't need it yet, they let you use it. When they finally started the blood, I called Mama every half an hour to make sure that there was no problem. I instructed her to keep an eye of any signs of reaction to the blood. She said you were tolerating the blood very well and that you were okay. You didn't have any fever anymore, nor difficulty in breathing. I was reassured by that. After few hours, she told you were turning pink and that you were doing better. But then when I called again, Mama said that you were short of breath. I was very worried because I knew that you either probably had a delayed reaction to the blood, or overloaded. So I told her to tell the doctor to check on you and administer diuretics as needed. I think she did tell them. But that was it.

Ah, things are coming back to me now and they're very painful memories. As much as I don't want to talk about it, I guess I have to because at the end of the day, we have to face the truth. At least I don't feel as bad when I talk about these things anymore. Unlike before when I used to cry whenever I think about what might have happened to you at the hospital.

I so miss you so much Balong. I know you're happy up there. But please let me dream about you. I just want to kiss and hug you and tell you how much I love you.


Mommy Tintin


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...