Monday 23 April 2012

The Girl from Cyprus

Today, I met a 22 year old girl from Cyprus. Hmmm, I kind of felt weird while I was talking to her. To be honest with you, she's not very well. She has been through a lot in the last few weeks, year in fact. But despite that, she remains very strong. She was talking to me as if nothing's going on. She is very confident and full of hope. She actually told me that she has been to Turkey and Cyprus and then back twice just to get better. She added that she came to London for the hope to live. I could feel the pain in her voice while she was speaking. It was obvious that she was trying to hold back her tears. I didn't know what to say so I just held her hand and just gave her a reassuring look. I really admire her for being so strong. Despite what she's been and still going through, she is definitely not showing any signs of hardship, or giving up in that matter. She  clearly is a fighter.

While we were talking, a black folder beside her caught my attention. Her name was written on the cover along with "Drawings 2011-2012". So, just to divert our conversation to something lighter, I asked her kindly if I could have a look at her drawings. She didn't hesitate at all. She's into Anime, so most of her drawings are on them. She had a couple of portraits which were simply amazing. From what I could see, she has got the talent. She said she started drawing only because her cousin told her that she can never draw, so she wanted to prove him wrong. And she certainly did.

The hardest thing on my part while speaking to her was to avoid saying anything about you. I tried my best but it was very hard not to brag about you. So eventually I told her that my son is also an artist and that he paints. If you noticed, I used the present tense- only because I didn't know how to say it any better. Because I was thinking if I said "he painted", she might asked me what happened and I really didn't want to tell her anything, especially because she is going through a lot at the moment. She was excited to hear more about you and your paintings. I was getting emotionally weak and ready to cry when someone caught my attention. Then I had to say good-bye to her. She told me she would love to speak to me again and would love it if I could show her your paintings next time. You know I could have easily shown her your paintings because I had them saved in my phone, but no, I didn't want to be emotional in front of her. She has shown me nothing but strength all the time that we were talking so I couldn't be showing her any signs of weakness. So I told her I'll show her your paintings next time.

I told your Daddy about my encounter with the girl and that's when I started crying. I cried not only because I missed you even more after that, but also because I feel so proud of the girl for not giving up on her battles. 

Ha, Anime. 
Your unfinished work on Dragon Ball Z.

Please anak pray for this girl. I love you so much. I miss you more and more each day.



Mommy Tintin



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...